Tuesday 29 March 2011

Rayogram Workshops

In the first workshop, located in the Dark Room we were simply introduced to the method of taking photo's and creating Rayograms, learning about how to use the camera's and machines as well as the order to fix the photographs. During the second workshop we brought in some pieces of our own material that may be relevant to our project or some pieces simply to experiment with. Here are my first trial outcomes:


Above: Here I created a test strip (believe it or not) using 5 second intervals, however the paper had been fully exposed after 10 seconds as you can see the only area which is slightly lighter in the bottom section which only had 5 seconds exposure, whereas the above strips had more (10, then 15, then 20 and so on). However, although this didn't create the test strip I had hoped for it created an almost x-ray feel for the sunglasses and defined them well. Although I was pleased with the outcome I felt the final image was too literal and wanted to move onto something more intricate and delicate rather than continuing to develop this idea. Below is my second set of prints.



Above: I began by creating a test strip in which I exposed the piece at 5 second intervals, so from the left - 5 seconds, 10 seconds and so on. Although I think I accidentally didn't expose the far left strip at all. I decided to increase the contrast from a 2 to a 5 for my second run and expose for about 12 seconds which I hoped would create a high contrast between the black and white, with a minimal area of grey, only to create depth of the image. 


Above: I tested my calculations out on the remaining paper from the test strip I created and was pleased with the overall finish, although slightly grainy in places I really like the effect it created. To makes sure the black areas were solid black I decided to expose for a further 1 second for my third piece, which would be as far as I'd have time to develop it during this session.


Above: Personally, I prefer the position of the feathers falling out of the jar on my second attempt however, the image quality I feel is higher on this piece due to the concentration, the picture is frames much better here too, and I think I prefer this angle of the piece, rather than the jar being bottom right?


No comments:

Post a Comment