Wednesday 30 March 2011

Concept and first look at Possible Narratives

Once I had collected all the ideas from my brainstorms, I collated the most common, interesting and favourite ideas of mine that I wished to continue looking at. I also used the 3 descriptive words and put them all together to help create a concept for my animation.


Using the ideas I had come up with I begin to simply create some short ideas for sections or possibilities to be extended. I looked at using the main props/items I had already considered and applying them to the descriptive words, the idea of continuous movement - walking along the beach. Fluctuating, moving up and down with regards to the umbrella, the bee, the bird. However to meet "positive" as one of the descriptive words I need to create a much more positive ending to each of these short stories as at the moment they all have negative endings.

I feel keeping the ideas simple will be more effective in the long run and prevent over complicating and confusing the animation. I want to keep it punchy and clear with a sense of humour too.


IDEA 1. The concept of this idea is very simple; it involves the idea of walking along (continuous theme) and then the characters hat blowing off due to the wind. I would like to develop this sketch by involving the character chasing the hat, which could incorporate the 'fluctuating' theme due to the hat moving up and down through the air. 

IDEA 2. This idea involved two of the initial 'props' I had considered important/usable in the short animation. The idea of the character walking along eating an icecream (continuous theme) and then a bird flying (fluctuation theme) across the screen and knocking/stealing the ice cream.


IDEA 3. Here I have used the iconic red and white umbrella, which was one of the main images I had in my head during listening to the soundtrack for the first few times. The walking, once again is the continuous theme and then the being lifted into the air is the continuous theme. Obviously it would be much further expanded on if it was an idea I chose to develop. 

IDEA 4. This idea created a much more summer/happy/ positive theme I feel due to the rubber ring, although the bee is a large negative image. The continuity here is once again in the walking and then the fluctuating can be found in the movement of the bee. 

I feel I have unintentionally ignored the positive descriptive word which should be running through my animation. This however could become very prevalent if the short ideas became connected in some way. For example if idea 1 and 2 were put together:

-Hat blows away (negative)
- Character chases hat
- Hat falls right in front of an ice cream van/stall 
- Character buys an ice cream (positive)

This could end here or it could continue onto the next sketch and so on so that each negative ending leads onto a positive at the beginning of the next sketch. I would intend to end the entire movie on a positive note - (perhaps ending back where it began to complete the theme of continuity and humour??)

No comments:

Post a Comment